Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: AGATE
- (adv.) On the way; agoing; as, to be agate; to set the bells agate.
- (n.) A semipellucid, uncrystallized variety of quartz, presenting various tints in the same specimen. Its colors are delicately arranged in stripes or bands, or blended in clouds.
- (n.) A kind of type, larger than pearl and smaller than nonpareil; in England called ruby.
- (n.) A diminutive person; so called in allusion to the small figures cut in agate for rings and seals.
- (n.) A tool used by gold-wire drawers, bookbinders, etc.; -- so called from the agate fixed in it for burnishing.