Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: AGE
- (n.) The whole duration of a being, whether animal, vegetable, or other kind; lifetime.
- (n.) That part of the duration of a being or a thing which is between its beginning and any given time; as, what is the present age of a man, or of the earth?
- (n.) The latter part of life; an advanced period of life; seniority; state of being old.
- (n.) One of the stages of life; as, the age of infancy, of youth, etc.
- (n.) Mature age; especially, the time of life at which one attains full personal rights and capacities; as, to come of age; he (or she) is of age.
- (n.) The time of life at which some particular power or capacity is understood to become vested; as, the age of consent; the age of discretion.
- (n.) A particular period of time in history, as distinguished from others; as, the golden age, the age of Pericles.
- (n.) A great period in the history of the Earth.
- (n.) A century; the period of one hundred years.
- (n.) The people who live at a particular period; hence, a generation.
- (n.) A long time.
- (v. i.) To grow aged; to become old; to show marks of age; as, he grew fat as he aged.
- (v. t.) To cause to grow old; to impart the characteristics of age to; as, grief ages us.