- (n.) A suffruticose labiate plant (Salvia officinalis) with grayish green foliage, much used in flavoring meats, etc. The name is often extended to the whole genus, of which many species are cultivated for ornament, as the scarlet sage, and Mexican red and blue sage.
- (n.) The sagebrush.
- (superl.) Having nice discernment and powers of judging; prudent; grave; sagacious.
- (superl.) Proceeding from wisdom; well judged; shrewd; well adapted to the purpose.
- (superl.) Grave; serious; solemn.
- (n.) A wise man; a man of gravity and wisdom; especially, a man venerable for years, and of sound judgment and prudence; a grave philosopher.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: AGES
- A late time of life; "old age is not for sissies"; "he's showing his years"; "age hasn't slowed him down at all"; "a beard white with eld"; "on the brink of geezerhood"
- A prolonged period of time; "we've known each other for ages"; "I haven't been there for years and years"
- An era of history having some distinctive feature; "we live in a litigious age"
- Grow old or older; "She aged gracefully"; "we age every day--what a depressing thought!"; "Young men senesce"
- Begin to seem older; get older; "The death of his wife caused him to age fast"
- Make older; "The death of his child aged him tremendously"
- How long something has existed; "it was replaced because of its age"
- A time of life (usually defined in years) at which some particular qualification or power arises; "she was now of school age"; "tall for his eld"
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!