- (n.) Great anxiety accompanied by painful constriction at the upper part of the belly, often with palpitation and oppression.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: AGRON
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A substance regarded as an element, contained in the atmosphere and remarkable for its chemical inertness.
- (v. i.) To give forth a low, moaning sound in breathing; to utter a groan, as in pain, in sorrow, or in derision; to moan.
- (v. i.) To strive after earnestly, as with groans.
- (v. t.) To affect by groans.
- (n.) A low, moaning sound; usually, a deep, mournful sound uttered in pain or great distress; sometimes, an expression of strong disapprobation; as, the remark was received with groans.
- (n.) A West African gazelle (Gazella redunca).
- (n.) See Orang-outang.
- (n.) An instrument or medium by which some important action is performed, or an important end accomplished; as, legislatures, courts, armies, taxgatherers, etc., are organs of government.
- (n.) A natural part or structure in an animal or a plant, capable of performing some special action (termed its function), which is essential to the life or well-being of the whole; as, the heart, lungs, etc., are organs of animals; the root, stem, foliage, etc., are organs of plants.
- (n.) A component part performing an essential office in the working of any complex machine; as, the cylinder, valves, crank, etc., are organs of the steam engine.
- (n.) A medium of communication between one person or body and another; as, the secretary of state is the organ of communication between the government and a foreign power; a newspaper is the organ of its editor, or of a party, sect, etc.
- (n.) A wind instrument containing numerous pipes of various dimensions and kinds, which are filled with wind from a bellows, and played upon by means of keys similar to those of a piano, and sometimes by foot keys or pedals; -- formerly used in the plural, each pipe being considired an organ.
- (v. t.) To supply with an organ or organs; to fit with organs; to organize.