Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: AIR
- (n.) The fluid which we breathe, and which surrounds the earth; the atmosphere. It is invisible, inodorous, insipid, transparent, compressible, elastic, and ponderable.
- (n.) Symbolically: Something unsubstantial, light, or volatile.
- (n.) A particular state of the atmosphere, as respects heat, cold, moisture, etc., or as affecting the sensations; as, a smoky air, a damp air, the morning air, etc.
- (n.) Any aeriform body; a gas; as, oxygen was formerly called vital air.
- (n.) Air in motion; a light breeze; a gentle wind.
- (n.) Odoriferous or contaminated air.
- (n.) That which surrounds and influences.
- (n.) Utterance abroad; publicity; vent.
- (n.) Intelligence; information.
- (n.) A musical idea, or motive, rhythmically developed in consecutive single tones, so as to form a symmetrical and balanced whole, which may be sung by a single voice to the stanzas of a hymn or song, or even to plain prose, or played upon an instrument; a melody; a tune; an aria.
- (n.) In harmonized chorals, psalmody, part songs, etc., the part which bears the tune or melody -- in modern harmony usually the upper part -- is sometimes called the air.
- (n.) The peculiar look, appearance, and bearing of a person; mien; demeanor; as, the air of a youth; a heavy air; a lofty air.
- (n.) Peculiar appearance; apparent character; semblance; manner; style.
- (n.) An artificial or affected manner; show of pride or vanity; haughtiness; as, it is said of a person, he puts on airs.
- (n.) The representation or reproduction of the effect of the atmospheric medium through which every object in nature is viewed.
- (n.) Carriage; attitude; action; movement; as, the head of that portrait has a good air.
- (n.) The artificial motion or carriage of a horse.
- (n.) To expose to the air for the purpose of cooling, refreshing, or purifying; to ventilate; as, to air a room.
- (n.) To expose for the sake of public notice; to display ostentatiously; as, to air one's opinion.
- (n.) To expose to heat, for the purpose of expelling dampness, or of warming; as, to air linen; to air liquors.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!