- (v. t.) To cut off the claws and balls of, as of a dog's fore feet.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: ALEW
- (n.) Halloo.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A streak or mark made on the skin by a rod or whip; a stripe; a wheal. See Wheal.
- (n.) A ridge or streak rising above the surface, as of cloth; hence, the texture of cloth.
- (n.) A timber bolted to a row of piles to secure them together and in position.
- (n.) Certain sets or strakes of the outside planking of a vessel; as, the main wales, or the strakes of planking under the port sills of the gun deck; channel wales, or those along the spar deck, etc.
- (n.) A wale knot, or wall knot.
- (v. t.) To mark with wales, or stripes.
- (v. t.) To choose; to select; specifically (Mining), to pick out the refuse of (coal) by hand, in order to clean it.
- (n.) The mark of a stripe. See Wale.
- (v. t.) To mark with stripes. See Wale.
- (adv.) A sound, healthy, or prosperous state of a person or thing; prosperity; happiness; welfare.
- (adv.) The body politic; the state; common wealth.
- (v. t.) To promote the weal of; to cause to be prosperous.