- (n.) Olefiant gas or ethylene; -- so called by Berzelius from its forming an oil combining with chlorine. [Written also elayle.] See Ethylene.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: ALLEY
- (n.) A narrow passage; especially a walk or passage in a garden or park, bordered by rows of trees or bushes; a bordered way.
- (n.) A narrow passage or way in a city, as distinct from a public street.
- (n.) A passageway between rows of pews in a church.
- (n.) Any passage having the entrance represented as wider than the exit, so as to give the appearance of length.
- (n.) The space between two rows of compositors' stands in a printing office.
- (n.) A choice taw or marble.