Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: ALLOWANCE
- (n.) Approval; approbation.
- (n.) The act of allowing, granting, conceding, or admitting; authorization; permission; sanction; tolerance.
- (n.) Acknowledgment.
- (n.) License; indulgence.
- (n.) That which is allowed; a share or portion allotted or granted; a sum granted as a reimbursement, a bounty, or as appropriate for any purpose; a stated quantity, as of food or drink; hence, a limited quantity of meat and drink, when provisions fall short.
- (n.) Abatement; deduction; the taking into account of mitigating circumstances; as, to make allowance for the inexperience of youth.
- (n.) A customary deduction from the gross weight of goods, different in different countries, such as tare and tret.
- (n.) To put upon a fixed allowance (esp. of provisions and drink); to supply in a fixed and limited quantity; as, the captain was obliged to allowance his crew; our provisions were allowanced.