- (a.) Faithful to law; upholding the lawful authority; faithful and true to the lawful government; faithful to the prince or sovereign to whom one is subject; unswerving in allegiance.
- (a.) True to any person or persons to whom one owes fidelity, especially as a wife to her husband, lovers to each other, and friend to friend; constant; faithful to a cause or a principle.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: ALLOY
- (v. t.) Any combination or compound of metals fused together; a mixture of metals; for example, brass, which is an alloy of copper and zinc. But when mercury is one of the metals, the compound is called an amalgam.
- (v. t.) The quality, or comparative purity, of gold or silver; fineness.
- (v. t.) A baser metal mixed with a finer.
- (v. t.) Admixture of anything which lessens the value or detracts from; as, no happiness is without alloy.
- (v. t.) To reduce the purity of by mixing with a less valuable substance; as, to alloy gold with silver or copper, or silver with copper.
- (v. t.) To mix, as metals, so as to form a compound.
- (v. t.) To abate, impair, or debase by mixture; to allay; as, to alloy pleasure with misfortunes.
- (v. t.) To form a metallic compound.