- A small landlocked Asian country high in the Himalayas between India and China
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: ALPEN
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the Alps.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A sunken compartment with raised margins, molded or otherwise, as in ceilings, wainscotings, etc.
- (n.) A piece of parchment or a schedule, containing the names of persons summoned as jurors by the sheriff; hence, more generally, the whole jury.
- (n.) A prisoner arraigned for trial at the bar of a criminal court.
- (n.) Formerly, a piece of cloth serving as a saddle; hence, a soft pad beneath a saddletree to prevent chafing.
- (n.) A board having its edges inserted in the groove of a surrounding frame; as, the panel of a door.
- (n.) One of the faces of a hewn stone.
- (n.) A slab or plank of wood upon which, instead of canvas, a picture is painted.
- (n.) A heap of dressed ore.
- (n.) One of the districts divided by pillars of extra size, into which a mine is laid off in one system of extracting coal.
- (n.) A plain strip or band, as of velvet or plush, placed at intervals lengthwise on the skirt of a dress, for ornament.
- (n.) A portion of a framed structure between adjacent posts or struts, as in a bridge truss.
- (v. t.) To form in or with panels; as, to panel a wainscot.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to punishment, to penalties, or to crimes and offenses; pertaining to criminal jurisprudence
- (a.) Enacting or threatening punishment; as, a penal statue; the penal code.
- (a.) Incurring punishment; subject to a penalty; as, a penalact of offense.
- (a.) Inflicted as punishment; used as a means of punishment; as, a penal colony or settlement.
- (n.) Any tree of the genus Platanus.
- (a.) Without elevations or depressions; even; level; flat; lying in, or constituting, a plane; as, a plane surface.
- (a.) A surface, real or imaginary, in which, if any two points are taken, the straight line which joins them lies wholly in that surface; or a surface, any section of which by a like surface is a straight line; a surface without curvature.
- (a.) An ideal surface, conceived as coinciding with, or containing, some designated astronomical line, circle, or other curve; as, the plane of an orbit; the plane of the ecliptic, or of the equator.
- (a.) A block or plate having a perfectly flat surface, used as a standard of flatness; a surface plate.
- (a.) A tool for smoothing boards or other surfaces of wood, for forming moldings, etc. It consists of a smooth-soled stock, usually of wood, from the under side or face of which projects slightly the steel cutting edge of a chisel, called the iron, which inclines backward, with an apperture in front for the escape of shavings; as, the jack plane; the smoothing plane; the molding plane, etc.
- (a.) To make smooth; to level; to pare off the inequalities of the surface of, as of a board or other piece of wood, by the use of a plane; as, to plane a plank.
- (a.) To efface or remove.
- (a.) Figuratively, to make plain or smooth.
- An enclosed space in which the air pressure is higher than outside
- A meeting of a legislative body at which all members are present; "the plenum will vote on all tax increases"