- (n.) Extent from side to side, or distance sidewise from a given point or line; breadth; width.
- (n.) Room; space; freedom from confinement or restraint; hence, looseness; laxity; independence.
- (n.) Extent or breadth of signification, application, etc.; extent of deviation from a standard, as truth, style, etc.
- (n.) Extent; size; amplitude; scope.
- (n.) Distance north or south of the equator, measured on a meridian.
- (n.) The angular distance of a heavenly body from the ecliptic.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: ALTITUDE
- (n.) Space extended upward; height; the perpendicular elevation of an object above its foundation, above the ground, or above a given level, or of one object above another; as, the altitude of a mountain, or of a bird above the top of a tree.
- (n.) The elevation of a point, or star, or other celestial object, above the horizon, measured by the arc of a vertical circle intercepted between such point and the horizon. It is either true or apparent; true when measured from the rational or real horizon, apparent when from the sensible or apparent horizon.
- (n.) The perpendicular distance from the base of a figure to the summit, or to the side parallel to the base; as, the altitude of a triangle, pyramid, parallelogram, frustum, etc.
- (n.) Height of degree; highest point or degree.
- (n.) Height of rank or excellence; superiority.
- (n.) Elevation of spirits; heroics; haughty airs.