- (n.) Sharp passion; vexation.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: AMBER
- (a.) Consisting of amber; made of amber.
- (a.) Resembling amber, especially in color; amber-colored.
- (n.) A yellowish translucent resin resembling copal, found as a fossil in alluvial soils, with beds of lignite, or on the seashore in many places. It takes a fine polish, and is used for pipe mouthpieces, beads, etc., and as a basis for a fine varnish. By friction, it becomes strongly electric.
- (n.) Amber color, or anything amber-colored; a clear light yellow; as, the amber of the sky.
- (n.) Ambergris.
- (n.) The balsam, liquidambar.
- (v. t.) To scent or flavor with ambergris; as, ambered wine.
- (v. t.) To preserve in amber; as, an ambered fly.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A European fresh-water cyprinoid fish of the genus Abramis, little valued as food. Several species are known.
- (n.) An American fresh-water fish, of various species of Pomotis and allied genera, which are also called sunfishes and pondfishes. See Pondfish.
- (n.) A marine sparoid fish of the genus Pagellus, and allied genera. See Sea Bream.
- (v. t.) To clean, as a ship's bottom of adherent shells, seaweed, etc., by the application of fire and scraping.
- (v. t.) To bar or shut in; to inclose securely, as with bars.
- (v. t.) To stop; to hinder by prohibition; to block up.