- (n.) The long and heavy hair growing on the upper side of, or about, the neck of some quadrupedal animals, as the horse, the lion, etc. See Illust. of Horse.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: AMEN
- (interj., adv., & n.) An expression used at the end of prayers, and meaning, So be it. At the end of a creed, it is a solemn asseveration of belief. When it introduces a declaration, it is equivalent to truly, verily.
- (v. t.) To say Amen to; to sanction fully.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To have in the mind, as a purpose, intention, etc.; to intend; to purpose; to design; as, what do you mean to do ?
- (v. t.) To signify; to indicate; to import; to denote.
- (v. i.) To have a purpose or intention.
- (superl.) Destitute of distinction or eminence; common; low; vulgar; humble.
- (superl.) Wanting dignity of mind; low-minded; base; destitute of honor; spiritless; as, a mean motive.
- (superl.) Of little value or account; worthy of little or no regard; contemptible; despicable.
- (superl.) Of poor quality; as, mean fare.
- (superl.) Penurious; stingy; close-fisted; illiberal; as, mean hospitality.
- (a.) Occupying a middle position; middle; being about midway between extremes.
- (a.) Intermediate in excellence of any kind.
- (a.) Average; having an intermediate value between two extremes, or between the several successive values of a variable quantity during one cycle of variation; as, mean distance; mean motion; mean solar day.
- (n.) That which is mean, or intermediate, between two extremes of place, time, or number; the middle point or place; middle rate or degree; mediocrity; medium; absence of extremes or excess; moderation; measure.
- (n.) A quantity having an intermediate value between several others, from which it is derived, and of which it expresses the resultant value; usually, unless otherwise specified, it is the simple average, formed by adding the quantities together and dividing by their number, which is called an arithmetical mean. A geometrical mean is the square root of the product of the quantities.
- (n.) That through which, or by the help of which, an end is attained; something tending to an object desired; intermediate agency or measure; necessary condition or coagent; instrument.
- (n.) Hence: Resources; property, revenue, or the like, considered as the condition of easy livelihood, or an instrumentality at command for effecting any purpose; disposable force or substance.
- (n.) A part, whether alto or tenor, intermediate between the soprano and base; a middle part.
- (n.) Meantime; meanwhile.
- (n.) A mediator; a go-between.
- (n.) The title by which any person or thing is known or designated; a distinctive specific appellation, whether of an individual or a class.
- (n.) A descriptive or qualifying appellation given to a person or thing, on account of a character or acts.
- (n.) Reputed character; reputation, good or bad; estimation; fame; especially, illustrious character or fame; honorable estimation; distinction.
- (n.) Those of a certain name; a race; a family.
- (n.) A person, an individual.
- (n.) To give a distinctive name or appellation to; to entitle; to denominate; to style; to call.
- (n.) To mention by name; to utter or publish the name of; to refer to by distinctive title; to mention.
- (n.) To designate by name or specifically for any purpose; to nominate; to specify; to appoint; as, to name a day for the wedding.
- (n.) To designate (a member) by name, as the Speaker does by way of reprimand.