Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: AMPLITUDE
- (n.) State of being ample; extent of surface or space; largeness of dimensions; size.
- (n.) Largeness, in a figurative sense; breadth; abundance; fullness.
- (n.) Of extent of capacity or intellectual powers.
- (n.) Of extent of means or resources.
- (n.) The arc of the horizon between the true east or west point and the center of the sun, or a star, at its rising or setting. At the rising, the amplitude is eastern or ortive: at the setting, it is western, occiduous, or occasive. It is also northern or southern, when north or south of the equator.
- (n.) The arc of the horizon between the true east or west point and the foot of the vertical circle passing through any star or object.
- (n.) The horizontal line which measures the distance to which a projectile is thrown; the range.
- (n.) The extent of a movement measured from the starting point or position of equilibrium; -- applied especially to vibratory movements.
- (n.) An angle upon which the value of some function depends; -- a term used more especially in connection with elliptic functions.