Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: APER
- (n.) One who apes.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To cut off, or shave off, the superficial substance or extremities of; as, to pare an apple; to pare a horse's hoof.
- (v. t.) To remove; to separate; to cut or shave, as the skin, ring, or outside part, from anything; -- followed by off or away; as; to pare off the ring of fruit; to pare away redundancies.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To diminish the bulk of; to reduce; to lessen.
- (n.) The fleshy pome, or fruit, of a rosaceous tree (Pyrus communis), cultivated in many varieties in temperate climates; also, the tree which bears this fruit. See Pear family, below.
- (n.) Fruit, as grapes, plucked from the cluster.
- (n.) The refuse stems and skins of grapes or raisins from which the must has been expressed in wine making.
- (n.) A filter containing the above refuse, used in clarifying and perfecting malt, vinegar, etc.
- (n.) The act of seizing and carrying away by force; violent seizure; robbery.
- (n.) Sexual connection with a woman without her consent. See Age of consent, under Consent, n.
- (n.) That which is snatched away.
- (n.) Movement, as in snatching; haste; hurry.
- (v. t.) To commit rape upon; to ravish.
- (v. i.) To rob; to pillage.
- (n.) One of six divisions of the county of Sussex, England, intermediate between a hundred and a shire.
- (n.) A name given to a variety or to varieties of a plant of the turnip kind, grown for seeds and herbage. The seeds are used for the production of rape oil, and to a limited extent for the food of cage birds.
- (v. t.) To cut with a sickle, scythe, or reaping machine, as grain; to gather, as a harvest, by cutting.
- (v. t.) To gather; to obtain; to receive as a reward or harvest, or as the fruit of labor or of works; -- in a good or a bad sense; as, to reap a benefit from exertions.
- (v. t.) To clear of a crop by reaping; as, to reap a field.
- (v. t.) To deprive of the beard; to shave.
- (v. i.) To perform the act or operation of reaping; to gather a harvest.
- (v.) A bundle of grain; a handful of grain laid down by the reaper as it is cut.