Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: APPLICATION
- (n.) The act of applying or laying on, in a literal sense; as, the application of emollients to a diseased limb.
- (n.) The thing applied.
- (n.) The act of applying as a means; the employment of means to accomplish an end; specific use.
- (n.) The act of directing or referring something to a particular case, to discover or illustrate agreement or disagreement, fitness, or correspondence; as, I make the remark, and leave you to make the application; the application of a theory.
- (n.) Hence, in specific uses: (a) That part of a sermon or discourse in which the principles before laid down and illustrated are applied to practical uses; the "moral" of a fable. (b) The use of the principles of one science for the purpose of enlarging or perfecting another; as, the application of algebra to geometry.
- (n.) The capacity of being practically applied or used; relevancy; as, a rule of general application.
- (n.) The act of fixing the mind or closely applying one's self; assiduous effort; close attention; as, to injure the health by application to study.
- (n.) The act of making request of soliciting; as, an application for an office; he made application to a court of chancery.
- (n.) A request; a document containing a request; as, his application was placed on file.