Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: APPROPRIATE
- (a.) Set apart for a particular use or person. Hence: Belonging peculiarly; peculiar; suitable; fit; proper.
- (n.) A property; attribute.
- (v. t.) To take to one's self in exclusion of others; to claim or use as by an exclusive right; as, let no man appropriate the use of a common benefit.
- (v. t.) To set apart for, or assign to, a particular person or use, in exclusion of all others; -- with to or for; as, a spot of ground is appropriated for a garden; to appropriate money for the increase of the navy.
- (v. t.) To make suitable; to suit.
- (v. t.) To annex, as a benefice, to a spiritual corporation, as its property.