- (n.) A piece of defensive (or, sometimes, ornamental) armor for a horse's neck, breast, and flanks; a barb. [Often in the pl.]
- (pl.) Defensive armor formerly worn by a man at arms.
- (pl.) A thin slice of fat bacon used to cover any meat or game.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: ARDEB
- A unit of dry measure used in Egypt
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (imp. & p. p.) of Bare
- (n.) The hair that grows on the chin, lips, and adjacent parts of the human face, chiefly of male adults.
- (n.) The long hairs about the face in animals, as in the goat.
- (n.) The cluster of small feathers at the base of the beak in some birds
- (n.) The appendages to the jaw in some Cetacea, and to the mouth or jaws of some fishes.
- (n.) The byssus of certain shellfish, as the muscle.
- (n.) The gills of some bivalves, as the oyster.
- (n.) In insects, the hairs of the labial palpi of moths and butterflies.
- (n.) Long or stiff hairs on a plant; the awn; as, the beard of grain.
- (n.) A barb or sharp point of an arrow or other instrument, projecting backward to prevent the head from being easily drawn out.
- (n.) That part of the under side of a horse's lower jaw which is above the chin, and bears the curb of a bridle.
- (n.) That part of a type which is between the shoulder of the shank and the face.
- (n.) An imposition; a trick.
- (v. t.) To take by the beard; to seize, pluck, or pull the beard of (a man), in anger or contempt.
- (v. t.) To oppose to the gills; to set at defiance.
- (v. t.) To deprive of the gills; -- used only of oysters and similar shellfish.
- (a.) To spread.
- (n.) An article of food made from flour or meal by moistening, kneading, and baking.
- (n.) Food; sustenance; support of life, in general.
- (v. t.) To cover with bread crumbs, preparatory to cooking; as, breaded cutlets.
- A city in the Netherlands.
- (v. t.) To cut off from entrance, as if by a bar or barrier; to preclude; to hinder from approach, entry, or enjoyment; to shut out or exclude; to deny or refuse; -- with from, and sometimes with of.