- (n.) A carpenter's tool for boring holes larger than those bored by a gimlet. It has a handle placed crosswise by which it is turned with both hands. A pod auger is one with a straight channel or groove, like the half of a bean pod. A screw auger has a twisted blade, by the spiral groove of which the chips are discharge.
- (n.) An instrument for boring or perforating soils or rocks, for determining the quality of soils, or the nature of the rocks or strata upon which they lie, and for obtaining water.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: ARGUE
- (v. i.) To invent and offer reasons to support or overthrow a proposition, opinion, or measure; to use arguments; to reason.
- (v. i.) To contend in argument; to dispute; to reason; -- followed by with; as, you may argue with your friend without convincing him.
- (v. t.) To debate or discuss; to treat by reasoning; as, the counsel argued the cause before a full court; the cause was well argued.
- (v. t.) To prove or evince; too manifest or exhibit by inference, deduction, or reasoning.
- (v. t.) To persuade by reasons; as, to argue a man into a different opinion.
- (v. t.) To blame; to accuse; to charge with.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. i.) To gaze; to stare.
- (pl.) of Ruga