- Wild ox of mountainous areas of eastern India
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: ARGUS
- (n.) A fabulous being of antiquity, said to have had a hundred eyes, who has placed by Juno to guard Io. His eyes were transplanted to the peacock's tail.
- (n.) One very vigilant; a guardian always watchful.
- (n.) A genus of East Indian pheasants. The common species (A. giganteus) is remarkable for the great length and beauty of the wing and tail feathers of the male. The species A. Grayi inhabits Borneo.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- Drought-tolerant herb grown for forage and for its seed which yield a gum used as a thickening agent or sizing material
- (n.) A sweet white (or brownish yellow) crystalline substance, of a sandy or granular consistency, obtained by crystallizing the evaporated juice of certain plants, as the sugar cane, sorghum, beet root, sugar maple, etc. It is used for seasoning and preserving many kinds of food and drink. Ordinary sugar is essentially sucrose. See the Note below.
- (n.) By extension, anything resembling sugar in taste or appearance; as, sugar of lead (lead acetate), a poisonous white crystalline substance having a sweet taste.
- (n.) Compliment or flattery used to disguise or render acceptable something obnoxious; honeyed or soothing words.
- (v. i.) In making maple sugar, to complete the process of boiling down the sirup till it is thick enough to crystallize; to approach or reach the state of granulation; -- with the preposition off.
- (v. t.) To impregnate, season, cover, or sprinkle with sugar; to mix sugar with.
- (v. t.) To cover with soft words; to disguise by flattery; to compliment; to sweeten; as, to sugar reproof.