- (a.) A variant of Straight.
- (superl.) Narrow; not broad.
- (superl.) Tight; close; closely fitting.
- (superl.) Close; intimate; near; familiar.
- (superl.) Strict; scrupulous; rigorous.
- (superl.) Difficult; distressful; straited.
- (superl.) Parsimonious; niggargly; mean.
- (adv.) Strictly; rigorously.
- (a.) A narrow pass or passage.
- (a.) A (comparatively) narrow passageway connecting two large bodies of water; -- often in the plural; as, the strait, or straits, of Gibraltar; the straits of Magellan; the strait, or straits, of Mackinaw.
- (a.) A neck of land; an isthmus.
- (a.) Fig.: A condition of narrowness or restriction; doubt; distress; difficulty; poverty; perplexity; -- sometimes in the plural; as, reduced to great straits.
- (v. t.) To put to difficulties.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: ARTIST
- (n.) One who practices some mechanic art or craft; an artisan.
- (n.) One who professes and practices an art in which science and taste preside over the manual execution.
- (n.) One who shows trained skill or rare taste in any manual art or occupation.
- (n.) An artful person; a schemer.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- A large dark low cloud
- A distinguishing feature of your personal nature