- (n.) One who frequents the tables of the rich, or who lives at another's expense, and earns his welcome by flattery; a hanger-on; a toady; a sycophant.
- (n.) A plant obtaining nourishment immediately from other plants to which it attaches itself, and whose juices it absorbs; -- sometimes, but erroneously, called epiphyte.
- (n.) A plant living on or within an animal, and supported at its expense, as many species of fungi of the genus Torrubia.
- (n.) An animal which lives during the whole or part of its existence on or in the body of some other animal, feeding upon its food, blood, or tissues, as lice, tapeworms, etc.
- (n.) An animal which steals the food of another, as the parasitic jager.
- (n.) An animal which habitually uses the nest of another, as the cowbird and the European cuckoo.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: ASPIRATE
- (a.) Alt. of Aspirated
- (n.) A sound consisting of, or characterized by, a breath like the sound of h; the breathing h or a character representing such a sound; an aspirated sound.
- (n.) A mark of aspiration (/) used in Greek; the asper, or rough breathing.
- (n.) An elementary sound produced by the breath alone; a surd, or nonvocal consonant; as, f, th in thin, etc.
- (v. t.) To pronounce with a breathing, an aspirate, or an h sound; as, we aspirate the words horse and house; to aspirate a vowel or a liquid consonant.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (pl.) of Septarium