- (v. t.) To cook by exposure to radiant heat before a fire; as, to roast meat on a spit, or in an oven open toward the fire and having reflecting surfaces within; also, to cook in a close oven.
- (v. t.) To cook by surrounding with hot embers, ashes, sand, etc.; as, to roast a potato in ashes.
- (v. t.) To dry and parch by exposure to heat; as, to roast coffee; to roast chestnuts, or peanuts.
- (v. t.) Hence, to heat to excess; to heat violently; to burn.
- (v. t.) To dissipate by heat the volatile parts of, as ores.
- (v. t.) To banter severely.
- (v. i.) To cook meat, fish, etc., by heat, as before the fire or in an oven.
- (v. i.) To undergo the process of being roasted.
- (n.) That which is roasted; a piece of meat which has been roasted, or is suitable for being roasted.
- (a.) Roasted; as, roast beef.
Stuck on a crossword puzzle or Wordle answer?
Enter the word you are trying to solve in the box below, using question marks in place of the letter(s) you don't know.
New! You can also search for definitions and anagrams by typing in a word without any question marks.
Definition for: ASTOR
- United States capitalist (born in Germany) who made a fortune in fur trading (1763-1848)
- British politician (born in the United States) who was the first woman to sit in the British House of Commons (1879-1964)
- Duty lists
- Tropical starchy tuberous root
- Herb of the Pacific islands grown throughout the tropics for its edible root and in temperate areas as an ornamental for its large glossy leaves
- Edible starchy tuberous root of taro plants