- Fill with high spirits; fill with optimism; "Music can uplift your spirits"
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: ATELES
- (n.) A genus of American monkeys with prehensile tails, and having the thumb wanting or rudimentary. See Spider monkey, and Coaita.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (pl.) of Stela
- (n.) A plant of the genus Dipsacus, of which one species (D. fullonum) bears a large flower head covered with stiff, prickly, hooked bracts. This flower head, when dried, is used for raising a nap on woolen cloth.
- (n.) A bur of this plant.
- (n.) Any contrivance intended as a substitute for teasels in dressing cloth.
- (v. t.) To subject, as woolen cloth, to the action of teasels, or any substitute for them which has an effect to raise a nap.
- (n. & v. t.) See Teasel.