- (a.) Watchful; vigilant; active in vigilance.
- (a.) Brisk; nimble; moving with celerity.
- (n.) An alarm from a real or threatened attack; a sudden attack; also, a bugle sound to give warning.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To make otherwise; to change in some respect, either partially or wholly; to vary; to modify.
- (v. t.) To agitate; to affect mentally.
- (v. t.) To geld.
- (v. i.) To become, in some respects, different; to vary; to change; as, the weather alters almost daily; rocks or minerals alter by exposure.
- A unit of weight used in some Moslem countries near the Mediterranean; varies between one and five pounds
- In prerevolutionary Russia) a cooperative association of craftsmen living and working together.
- (n.) A brick or tile.
- (a.) Compar. of Late, a. & adv.
- (n.) Any carnivore of the genus Mellivora, allied to the weasels and the skunks; -- called also honey badger.