- (v. i.) To die; to perish.
- (v. i.) To perish with hunger; to suffer extreme hunger or want; to be very indigent.
- (v. i.) To perish or die with cold.
- (v. t.) To destroy with cold.
- (v. t.) To kill with hunger; as, maliciously to starve a man is, in law, murder.
- (v. t.) To distress or subdue by famine; as, to starvea garrison into a surrender.
- (v. t.) To destroy by want of any kind; as, to starve plans by depriving them of proper light and air.
- (v. t.) To deprive of force or vigor; to disable.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: AVERTS
- Turn away or aside; "They averted their eyes when the King entered"
- Prevent the occurrence of; prevent from happening; "Let's avoid a confrontation"; "head off a confrontation"; "avert a strike"
- WARD OFF
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- A horizontal beam that extends across something