- (v. t.) To array.
- (v. t.) To mark, stain, or soil; to streak; to defile.
- (n.) Array; order; arrangement; dress.
- (n.) One of a number of lines or parts diverging from a common point or center, like the radii of a circle; as, a star of six rays.
- (n.) A radiating part of a flower or plant; the marginal florets of a compound flower, as an aster or a sunflower; one of the pedicels of an umbel or other circular flower cluster; radius. See Radius.
- (n.) One of the radiating spines, or cartilages, supporting the fins of fishes.
- (n.) One of the spheromeres of a radiate, especially one of the arms of a starfish or an ophiuran.
- (n.) A line of light or heat proceeding from a radiant or reflecting point; a single element of light or heat propagated continuously; as, a solar ray; a polarized ray.
- (n.) One of the component elements of the total radiation from a body; any definite or limited portion of the spectrum; as, the red ray; the violet ray. See Illust. under Light.
- (n.) Sight; perception; vision; -- from an old theory of vision, that sight was something which proceeded from the eye to the object seen.
- (n.) One of a system of diverging lines passing through a point, and regarded as extending indefinitely in both directions. See Half-ray.
- (n.) To mark with long lines; to streak.
- (n.) To send forth or shoot out; to cause to shine out; as, to ray smiles.
- (v. i.) To shine, as with rays.
- (n.) Any one of numerous elasmobranch fishes of the order Raiae, including the skates, torpedoes, sawfishes, etc.
- (n.) In a restricted sense, any of the broad, flat, narrow-tailed species, as the skates and sting rays. See Skate.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: AYR
- A port in southwestern Scotland
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- A shag rug made in Sweden