- (n.) A loss of advantage, or deduction from profit, value, success, etc.; a discouragement or hindrance; objectionable feature.
- (n.) Money paid back or remitted; especially, a certain amount of duties or customs, sometimes the whole, and sometimes only a part, remitted or paid back by the government, on the exportation of the commodities on which they were levied.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: BACKWARD
- (a.) Directed to the back or rear; as, backward glances.
- (a.) Unwilling; averse; reluctant; hesitating; loath.
- (a.) Not well advanced in learning; not quick of apprehension; dull; inapt; as, a backward child.
- (a.) Late or behindhand; as, a backward season.
- (a.) Not advanced in civilization; undeveloped; as, the country or region is in a backward state.
- (a.) Already past or gone; bygone.
- (adv.) Alt. of Backwards
- (n.) The state behind or past.
- (v. i.) To keep back; to hinder.