- (n.) The whitish mass of soft matter (the center of the nervous system, and the seat of consciousness and volition) which is inclosed in the cartilaginous or bony cranium of vertebrate animals. It is simply the anterior termination of the spinal cord, and is developed from three embryonic vesicles, whose cavities are connected with the central canal of the cord; the cavities of the vesicles become the central cavities, or ventricles, and the walls thicken unequally and become the three segments, the fore-, mid-, and hind-brain.
- (n.) The anterior or cephalic ganglion in insects and other invertebrates.
- (n.) The organ or seat of intellect; hence, the understanding.
- (n.) The affections; fancy; imagination.
- (v. t.) To dash out the brains of; to kill by beating out the brains. Hence, Fig.: To destroy; to put an end to; to defeat.
- (v. t.) To conceive; to understand.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: BAIRN
- (n.) A child.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) See Ribbon.