- (n.) The bill or nib of a bird, consisting of a horny sheath, covering the jaws. The form varied much according to the food and habits of the bird, and is largely used in the classification of birds.
- (n.) A similar bill in other animals, as the turtles.
- (n.) The long projecting sucking mouth of some insects, and other invertebrates, as in the Hemiptera.
- (n.) The upper or projecting part of the shell, near the hinge of a bivalve.
- (n.) The prolongation of certain univalve shells containing the canal.
- (n.) Anything projecting or ending in a point, like a beak, as a promontory of land.
- (n.) A beam, shod or armed at the end with a metal head or point, and projecting from the prow of an ancient galley, in order to pierce the vessel of an enemy; a beakhead.
- (n.) That part of a ship, before the forecastle, which is fastened to the stem, and supported by the main knee.
- (n.) A continuous slight projection ending in an arris or narrow fillet; that part of a drip from which the water is thrown off.
- (n.) Any process somewhat like the beak of a bird, terminating the fruit or other parts of a plant.
- (n.) A toe clip. See Clip, n. (Far.).
- (n.) A magistrate or policeman.
Stuck on a crossword puzzle or Wordle answer?
Enter the word you are trying to solve in the box below, using question marks in place of the letter(s) you don't know.
New! You can also search for definitions and anagrams by typing in a word without any question marks.
Definitions for: BAKE
- (n.) The process, or result, of baking.
- (v. i.) To do the work of baking something; as, she brews, washes, and bakes.
- (v. i.) To be baked; to become dry and hard in heat; as, the bread bakes; the ground bakes in the hot sun.
- (v. t.) To prepare, as food, by cooking in a dry heat, either in an oven or under coals, or on heated stone or metal; as, to bake bread, meat, apples.
- (v. t.) To dry or harden (anything) by subjecting to heat, as, to bake bricks; the sun bakes the ground.
- (v. t.) To harden by cold.