Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: BANKRUPT
- (a.) Being a bankrupt or in a condition of bankruptcy; unable to pay, or legally discharged from paying, one's debts; as, a bankrupt merchant.
- (a.) Depleted of money; not having the means of meeting pecuniary liabilities; as, a bankrupt treasury.
- (a.) Relating to bankrupts and bankruptcy.
- (a.) Destitute of, or wholly wanting (something once possessed, or something one should possess).
- (n.) A trader who secretes himself, or does certain other acts tending to defraud his creditors.
- (n.) A trader who becomes unable to pay his debts; an insolvent trader; popularly, any person who is unable to pay his debts; an insolvent person.
- (n.) A person who, in accordance with the terms of a law relating to bankruptcy, has been judicially declared to be unable to meet his liabilities.
- (v. t.) To make bankrupt; to bring financial ruin upon; to impoverish.