- (v. t.) To cut a rabbet in; to furnish with a rabbet.
- (v. t.) To unite the edges of, as boards, etc., in a rabbet joint.
- (n.) A longitudinal channel, groove, or recess cut out of the edge or face of any body; especially, one intended to receive another member, so as to break or cover the joint, or more easily to hold the members in place; thus, the groove cut for a panel, for a pane of glass, or for a door, is a rabbet, or rebate.
- (n.) Same as Rabbet joint, below.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: BARBET
- (n.) A variety of small dog, having long curly hair.
- (n.) A bird of the family Bucconidae, allied to the Cuckoos, having a large, conical beak swollen at the base, and bearded with five bunches of stiff bristles; the puff bird. It inhabits tropical America and Africa.
- (n.) A larva that feeds on aphides.