- United States microbiologist (born in Poland) who developed the Sabin vaccine that is taken orally against poliomyelitis (born 1906)
- A unit of acoustic absorption equivalent to the absorption by a square foot of a surface that absorbs all incident sound
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: BASIN
- (n.) A hollow vessel or dish, to hold water for washing, and for various other uses.
- (n.) The quantity contained in a basin.
- (n.) A hollow vessel, of various forms and materials, used in the arts or manufactures, as that used by glass grinders for forming concave glasses, by hatters for molding a hat into shape, etc.
- (n.) A hollow place containing water, as a pond, a dock for ships, a little bay.
- (n.) A circular or oval valley, or depression of the surface of the ground, the lowest part of which is generally occupied by a lake, or traversed by a river.
- (n.) The entire tract of country drained by a river, or sloping towards a sea or lake.
- (n.) An isolated or circumscribed formation, particularly where the strata dip inward, on all sides, toward a center; -- especially applied to the coal formations, called coal basins or coal fields.