- (n.) A form of decay in fruit which is overripe.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: BELT
- (n.) That which engirdles a person or thing; a band or girdle; as, a lady's belt; a sword belt.
- (n.) That which restrains or confines as a girdle.
- (n.) Anything that resembles a belt, or that encircles or crosses like a belt; a strip or stripe; as, a belt of trees; a belt of sand.
- (n.) Same as Band, n., 2. A very broad band is more properly termed a belt.
- (n.) One of certain girdles or zones on the surface of the planets Jupiter and Saturn, supposed to be of the nature of clouds.
- (n.) A narrow passage or strait; as, the Great Belt and the Lesser Belt, leading to the Baltic Sea.
- (n.) A token or badge of knightly rank.
- (n.) A band of leather, or other flexible substance, passing around two wheels, and communicating motion from one to the other.
- (n.) A band or stripe, as of color, round any organ; or any circular ridge or series of ridges.
- (v. t.) To encircle with, or as with, a belt; to encompass; to surround.
- (v. t.) To shear, as the buttocks and tails of sheep.