- (n.) One who, or that which, beats.
- (n.) A person who beats up game for the hunters.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: BERATE
- (v. t.) To rate or chide vehemently; to scold.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To beat to obtuseness; to deprive of keenness; to blunt; to turn back the point of, as a lance used for exercise.
- (v. t.) To deduct from; to make a discount from, as interest due, or customs duties.
- (v. i.) To abate; to withdraw.
- (n.) Diminution.
- (n.) Deduction; abatement; as, a rebate of interest for immediate payment; a rebate of importation duties.
- (n.) A rectangular longitudinal recess or groove, cut in the corner or edge of any body; a rabbet. See Rabbet.
- (n.) A piece of wood hafted into a long stick, and serving to beat out mortar.
- (n.) An iron tool sharpened something like a chisel, and used for dressing and polishing wood.
- (n.) A kind of hard freestone used in making pavements.
- (v. t.) To cut a rebate in. See Rabbet, v.