Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: BISHOP
- (n.) A spiritual overseer, superintendent, or director.
- (n.) In the Roman Catholic, Greek, and Anglican or Protestant Episcopal churches, one ordained to the highest order of the ministry, superior to the priesthood, and generally claiming to be a successor of the Apostles. The bishop is usually the spiritual head or ruler of a diocese, bishopric, or see.
- (n.) In the Methodist Episcopal and some other churches, one of the highest church officers or superintendents.
- (n.) A piece used in the game of chess, bearing a representation of a bishop's miter; -- formerly called archer.
- (n.) A beverage, being a mixture of wine, oranges or lemons, and sugar.
- (n.) An old name for a woman's bustle.
- (v. t.) To admit into the church by confirmation; to confirm; hence, to receive formally to favor.
- (v. t.) To make seem younger, by operating on the teeth; as, to bishop an old horse or his teeth.