Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: BITTER
- (n.) AA turn of the cable which is round the bitts.
- (n.) Any substance that is bitter. See Bitters.
- (v. t.) Having a peculiar, acrid, biting taste, like that of wormwood or an infusion of hops; as, a bitter medicine; bitter as aloes.
- (v. t.) Causing pain or smart; piercing; painful; sharp; severe; as, a bitter cold day.
- (v. t.) Causing, or fitted to cause, pain or distress to the mind; calamitous; poignant.
- (v. t.) Characterized by sharpness, severity, or cruelty; harsh; stern; virulent; as, bitter reproach.
- (v. t.) Mournful; sad; distressing; painful; pitiable.
- (v. t.) To make bitter.