- (n.) A visible sign or representation of an idea; anything which suggests an idea or quality, or another thing, as by resemblance or by convention; an emblem; a representation; a type; a figure; as, the lion is the symbol of courage; the lamb is the symbol of meekness or patience.
- (n.) Any character used to represent a quantity, an operation, a relation, or an abbreviation.
- (n.) An abstract or compendium of faith or doctrine; a creed, or a summary of the articles of religion.
- (n.) That which is thrown into a common fund; hence, an appointed or accustomed duty.
- (n.) Share; allotment.
- (n.) An abbreviation standing for the name of an element and consisting of the initial letter of the Latin or New Latin name, or sometimes of the initial letter with a following one; as, C for carbon, Na for sodium (Natrium), Fe for iron (Ferrum), Sn for tin (Stannum), Sb for antimony (Stibium), etc. See the list of names and symbols under Element.
- (v. t.) To symbolize.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: BLOSMY
- (a.) Blossomy.