Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: BOB
- (n.) Anything that hangs so as to play loosely, or with a short abrupt motion, as at the end of a string; a pendant; as, the bob at the end of a kite's tail.
- (n.) A knot of worms, or of rags, on a string, used in angling, as for eels; formerly, a worm suitable for bait.
- (n.) A small piece of cork or light wood attached to a fishing line to show when a fish is biting; a float.
- (n.) The ball or heavy part of a pendulum; also, the ball or weight at the end of a plumb line.
- (n.) A small wheel, made of leather, with rounded edges, used in polishing spoons, etc.
- (n.) A short, jerking motion; act of bobbing; as, a bob of the head.
- (n.) A working beam.
- (n.) A knot or short curl of hair; also, a bob wig.
- (n.) A peculiar mode of ringing changes on bells.
- (n.) The refrain of a song.
- (n.) A blow; a shake or jog; a rap, as with the fist.
- (n.) A jeer or flout; a sharp jest or taunt; a trick.
- (n.) A shilling.
- (n.) To cause to move in a short, jerking manner; to move (a thing) with a bob.
- (n.) To strike with a quick, light blow; to tap.
- (n.) To cheat; to gain by fraud or cheating; to filch.
- (n.) To mock or delude; to cheat.
- (n.) To cut short; as, to bob the hair, or a horse's tail.
- (v. i.) To have a short, jerking motion; to play to and fro, or up and down; to play loosely against anything.
- (v. i.) To angle with a bob. See Bob, n., 2 & 3.