- (n.) Physical toil or bodily exertion, especially when fatiguing, irksome, or unavoidable, in distinction from sportive exercise; hard, muscular effort directed to some useful end, as agriculture, manufactures, and like; servile toil; exertion; work.
- (n.) Intellectual exertion; mental effort; as, the labor of compiling a history.
- (n.) That which requires hard work for its accomplishment; that which demands effort.
- (n.) Travail; the pangs and efforts of childbirth.
- (n.) Any pang or distress.
- (n.) The pitching or tossing of a vessel which results in the straining of timbers and rigging.
- (n.) A measure of land in Mexico and Texas, equivalent to an area of 177/ acres.
- (n.) To exert muscular strength; to exert one's strength with painful effort, particularly in servile occupations; to work; to toil.
- (n.) To exert one's powers of mind in the prosecution of any design; to strive; to take pains.
- (n.) To be oppressed with difficulties or disease; to do one's work under conditions which make it especially hard, wearisome; to move slowly, as against opposition, or under a burden; to be burdened; -- often with under, and formerly with of.
- (n.) To be in travail; to suffer the pangs of childbirth.
- (n.) To pitch or roll heavily, as a ship in a turbulent sea.
- (v. t.) To work at; to work; to till; to cultivate by toil.
- (v. t.) To form or fabricate with toil, exertion, or care.
- (v. t.) To prosecute, or perfect, with effort; to urge stre/uously; as, to labor a point or argument.
- (v. t.) To belabor; to beat.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: BOLAR
- (a.) Of or pertaining to bole or clay; partaking of the nature and qualities of bole; clayey.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a lobe; characterized by, or like, a lobe or lobes.