- (a.) Consisting of ebony.
- (a.) Like ebony, especially in color; black; dark.
- (n.) Ebony.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: BONE
- (n.) The hard, calcified tissue of the skeleton of vertebrate animals, consisting very largely of calcic carbonate, calcic phosphate, and gelatine; as, blood and bone.
- (n.) One of the pieces or parts of an animal skeleton; as, a rib or a thigh bone; a bone of the arm or leg; also, any fragment of bony substance. (pl.) The frame or skeleton of the body.
- (n.) Anything made of bone, as a bobbin for weaving bone lace.
- (n.) Two or four pieces of bone held between the fingers and struck together to make a kind of music.
- (n.) Dice.
- (n.) Whalebone; hence, a piece of whalebone or of steel for a corset.
- (n.) Fig.: The framework of anything.
- (v. t.) To withdraw bones from the flesh of, as in cookery.
- (v. t.) To put whalebone into; as, to bone stays.
- (v. t.) To fertilize with bone.
- (v. t.) To steal; to take possession of.
- (v. t.) To sight along an object or set of objects, to see if it or they be level or in line, as in carpentry, masonry, and surveying.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- Babylonian god of wisdom and agriculture and patron of scribes and schools