- (prep.) Under, or lower in place; beneath not so high; as, below the moon; below the knee.
- (prep.) Inferior to in rank, excellence, dignity, value, amount, price, etc.; lower in quality.
- (prep.) Unworthy of; unbefitting; beneath.
- (adv.) In a lower place, with respect to any object; in a lower room; beneath.
- (adv.) On the earth, as opposed to the heavens.
- (adv.) In hell, or the regions of the dead.
- (adv.) In court or tribunal of inferior jurisdiction; as, at the trial below.
- (adv.) In some part or page following.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: BOWEL
- (n.) One of the intestines of an animal; an entrail, especially of man; a gut; -- generally used in the plural.
- (n.) Hence, figuratively: The interior part of anything; as, the bowels of the earth.
- (n.) The seat of pity or kindness. Hence: Tenderness; compassion.
- (n.) Offspring.
- (v. t.) To take out the bowels of; to eviscerate; to disembowel.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) The joint or bend of the arm; the outer curve in the middle of the arm when bent.
- (n.) Any turn or bend like that of the elbow, in a wall, building, and the like; a sudden turn in a line of coast or course of a river; also, an angular or jointed part of any structure, as the raised arm of a chair or sofa, or a short pipe fitting, turning at an angle or bent.
- (n.) A sharp angle in any surface of wainscoting or other woodwork; the upright sides which flank any paneled work, as the sides of windows, where the jamb makes an elbow with the window back.
- (v. t.) To push or hit with the elbow, as when one pushes by another.
- (v. i.) To jut into an angle; to project or to bend after the manner of an elbow.
- (v. i.) To push rudely along; to elbow one's way.