Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: BOX
- (n.) A tree or shrub, flourishing in different parts of the world. The common box (Buxus sempervirens) has two varieties, one of which, the dwarf box (B. suffruticosa), is much used for borders in gardens. The wood of the tree varieties, being very hard and smooth, is extensively used in the arts, as by turners, engravers, mathematical instrument makers, etc.
- (n.) A receptacle or case of any firm material and of various shapes.
- (n.) The quantity that a box contain.
- (n.) A space with a few seats partitioned off in a theater, or other place of public amusement.
- (n.) A chest or any receptacle for the deposit of money; as, a poor box; a contribution box.
- (n.) A small country house.
- (n.) A boxlike shed for shelter; as, a sentry box.
- (n.) An axle box, journal box, journal bearing, or bushing.
- (n.) A chamber or section of tube in which a valve works; the bucket of a lifting pump.
- (n.) The driver's seat on a carriage or coach.
- (n.) A present in a box; a present; esp. a Christmas box or gift.
- (n.) The square in which the pitcher stands.
- (n.) A Mediterranean food fish; the bogue.
- (n.) A blow on the head or ear with the hand.
- (v. i.) To fight with the fist; to combat with, or as with, the hand or fist; to spar.
- (v. t.) To inclose in a box.
- (v. t.) To furnish with boxes, as a wheel.
- (v. t.) To inclose with boarding, lathing, etc., so as to bring to a required form.
- (v. t.) To strike with the hand or fist, especially to strike on the ear, or on the side of the head.
- (v. t.) To boxhaul.