- (n.) Alt. of Fibre
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: BRIEF
- (a.) Short in duration.
- (a.) Concise; terse; succinct.
- (a.) Rife; common; prevalent.
- (a.) A short concise writing or letter; a statement in few words.
- (a.) An epitome.
- (a.) An abridgment or concise statement of a client's case, made out for the instruction of counsel in a trial at law. This word is applied also to a statement of the heads or points of a law argument.
- (a.) A writ; a breve. See Breve, n., 2.
- (adv.) Briefly.
- (adv.) Soon; quickly.
- (n.) A writ issuing from the chancery, directed to any judge ordinary, commanding and authorizing that judge to call a jury to inquire into the case, and upon their verdict to pronounce sentence.
- (n.) A letter patent, from proper authority, authorizing a collection or charitable contribution of money in churches, for any public or private purpose.
- (v. t.) To make an abstract or abridgment of; to shorten; as, to brief pleadings.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) One of the delicate, threadlike portions of which the tissues of plants and animals are in part constituted; as, the fiber of flax or of muscle.
- (n.) Any fine, slender thread, or threadlike substance; as, a fiber of spun glass; especially, one of the slender rootlets of a plant.
- (n.) Sinew; strength; toughness; as, a man of real fiber.
- (n.) A general name for the raw material, such as cotton, flax, hemp, etc., used in textile manufactures.
- A tough vegetable fiber used as a substitute for bristles in making brushes. The piassava and the ixtle are both used under this name.