- (v. t.) To make shorter; to shorten in duration; to lessen; to diminish; to curtail; as, to abridge labor; to abridge power or rights.
- (v. t.) To shorten or contract by using fewer words, yet retaining the sense; to epitomize; to condense; as, to abridge a history or dictionary.
- (v. t.) To deprive; to cut off; -- followed by of, and formerly by from; as, to abridge one of his rights.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: BRIGADE
- (n.) A body of troops, whether cavalry, artillery, infantry, or mixed, consisting of two or more regiments, under the command of a brigadier general.
- (n.) Any body of persons organized for acting or marching together under authority; as, a fire brigade.
- (v. t.) To form into a brigade, or into brigades.