Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: BUCK
- (n.) Lye or suds in which cloth is soaked in the operation of bleaching, or in which clothes are washed.
- (n.) The cloth or clothes soaked or washed.
- (n.) The male of deer, especially fallow deer and antelopes, or of goats, sheep, hares, and rabbits.
- (n.) A gay, dashing young fellow; a fop; a dandy.
- (n.) A male Indian or negro.
- (n.) A frame on which firewood is sawed; a sawhorse; a sawbuck.
- (n.) The beech tree.
- (v. i.) To copulate, as bucks and does.
- (v. i.) To spring with quick plunging leaps, descending with the fore legs rigid and the head held as low down as possible; -- said of a vicious horse or mule.
- (v. t.) To soak, steep, or boil, in lye or suds; -- a process in bleaching.
- (v. t.) To wash (clothes) in lye or suds, or, in later usage, by beating them on stones in running water.
- (v. t.) To break up or pulverize, as ores.
- (v. t.) To subject to a mode of punishment which consists in tying the wrists together, passing the arms over the bent knees, and putting a stick across the arms and in the angle formed by the knees.
- (v. t.) To throw by bucking. See Buck, v. i., 2.