- (a.) Not having sensation; senseless; inanimate; unconscious; without intelligence or volition; as, the brute earth; the brute powers of nature.
- (a.) Not possessing reason, irrational; unthinking; as, a brute beast; the brute creation.
- (a.) Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of, a brute beast. Hence: Brutal; cruel; fierce; ferocious; savage; pitiless; as, brute violence.
- (a.) Having the physical powers predominating over the mental; coarse; unpolished; unintelligent.
- (a.) Rough; uncivilized; unfeeling.
- (n.) An animal destitute of human reason; any animal not human; esp. a quadruped; a beast.
- (n.) A brutal person; a savage in heart or manners; as unfeeling or coarse person.
- (v. t.) To report; to bruit.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: BURET
- Measuring instrument consisting of a graduated glass tube with a tap at the bottom; used for titration
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To drive or beat back; to repulse.
- (v. t.) To contradict, meet, or oppose by argument, plea, or countervailing proof.
- (v. i.) To retire; to recoil.
- (v. i.) To make, or put in, an answer, as to a plaintiff's surrejoinder.
- (n.) A fleshy, rounded stem or root, usually containing starchy matter, as the potato or arrowroot; a thickened root-stock. See Illust. of Tuberous.
- (n.) A genus of fungi. See Truffle.
- (n.) A tuberosity; a tubercle.