- (n.) A boat used by rude nations, formed of trunk of a tree, excavated, by cutting of burning, into a suitable shape. It is propelled by a paddle or paddles, or sometimes by sail, and has no rudder.
- (n.) A boat made of bark or skins, used by savages.
- (n.) A light pleasure boat, especially designed for use by one who goes alone upon long excursions, including portage. It it propelled by a paddle, or by a small sail attached to a temporary mast.
- (v. i.) To manage a canoe, or voyage in a canoe.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) The whole body of salt water which covers more than three fifths of the surface of the globe; -- called also the sea, or great sea.
- (n.) One of the large bodies of water into which the great ocean is regarded as divided, as the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic and Antarctic oceans.
- (n.) An immense expanse; any vast space or quantity without apparent limits; as, the boundless ocean of eternity; an ocean of affairs.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the main or great sea; as, the ocean waves; an ocean stream.