- (n.) The exterior form or appearance of anything; that part which presents itself to the view; especially, the front or upper part or surface; that which particularly offers itself to the view of a spectator.
- (n.) That part of a body, having several sides, which may be seen from one point, or which is presented toward a certain direction; one of the bounding planes of a solid; as, a cube has six faces.
- (n.) The principal dressed surface of a plate, disk, or pulley; the principal flat surface of a part or object.
- (n.) That part of the acting surface of a cog in a cog wheel, which projects beyond the pitch line.
- (n.) The width of a pulley, or the length of a cog from end to end; as, a pulley or cog wheel of ten inches face.
- (n.) The upper surface, or the character upon the surface, of a type, plate, etc.
- (n.) The style or cut of a type or font of type.
- (n.) Outside appearance; surface show; look; external aspect, whether natural, assumed, or acquired.
- (n.) That part of the head, esp. of man, in which the eyes, cheeks, nose, and mouth are situated; visage; countenance.
- (n.) Cast of features; expression of countenance; look; air; appearance.
- (n.) Ten degrees in extent of a sign of the zodiac.
- (n.) Maintenance of the countenance free from abashment or confusion; confidence; boldness; shamelessness; effrontery.
- (n.) Presence; sight; front; as in the phrases, before the face of, in the immediate presence of; in the face of, before, in, or against the front of; as, to fly in the face of danger; to the face of, directly to; from the face of, from the presence of.
- (n.) Mode of regard, whether favorable or unfavorable; favor or anger; mostly in Scriptural phrases.
- (n.) The end or wall of the tunnel, drift, or excavation, at which work is progressing or was last done.
- (n.) The exact amount expressed on a bill, note, bond, or other mercantile paper, without any addition for interest or reduction for discount.
- (v. t.) To meet in front; to oppose with firmness; to resist, or to meet for the purpose of stopping or opposing; to confront; to encounter; as, to face an enemy in the field of battle.
- (v. t.) To Confront impudently; to bully.
- (v. t.) To stand opposite to; to stand with the face or front toward; to front upon; as, the apartments of the general faced the park.
- (v. t.) To cover in front, for ornament, protection, etc.; to put a facing upon; as, a building faced with marble.
- (v. t.) To line near the edge, esp. with a different material; as, to face the front of a coat, or the bottom of a dress.
- (v. t.) To cover with better, or better appearing, material than the mass consists of, for purpose of deception, as the surface of a box of tea, a barrel of sugar, etc.
- (v. t.) To make the surface of (anything) flat or smooth; to dress the face of (a stone, a casting, etc.); esp., in turning, to shape or smooth the flat surface of, as distinguished from the cylindrical surface.
- (v. t.) To cause to turn or present a face or front, as in a particular direction.
- (v. i.) To carry a false appearance; to play the hypocrite.
- (v. i.) To turn the face; as, to face to the right or left.
- (v. i.) To present a face or front.
Stuck on a crossword puzzle or Wordle answer?
Enter the word you are trying to solve in the box below, using question marks in place of the letter(s) you don't know.
New! You can also search for definitions and anagrams by typing in a word without any question marks.
Definitions for: CAFE
- (n.) A coffeehouse; a restaurant; also, a room in a hotel or restaurant where coffee and liquors are served.