- (n.) A crown or garland bestowed among the Romans as a reward for distinguished services.
- (n.) The projecting part of a Classic cornice, the under side of which is cut with a recess or channel so as to form a drip. See Illust. of Column.
- (n.) The upper surface of some part, as of a tooth or the skull; a crown.
- (n.) The shelly skeleton of a sea urchin.
- (n.) A peculiar luminous appearance, or aureola, which surrounds the sun, and which is seen only when the sun is totally eclipsed by the moon.
- (n.) An inner appendage to a petal or a corolla, often forming a special cup, as in the daffodil and jonquil.
- (n.) Any crownlike appendage at the top of an organ.
- (n.) A circle, usually colored, seen in peculiar states of the atmosphere around and close to a luminous body, as the sun or moon.
- (n.) A peculiar phase of the aurora borealis, formed by the concentration or convergence of luminous beams around the point in the heavens indicated by the direction of the dipping needle.
- (n.) A crown or circlet suspended from the roof or vaulting of churches, to hold tapers lighted on solemn occasions. It is sometimes formed of double or triple circlets, arranged pyramidically. Called also corona lucis.
- (n.) A character [/] called the pause or hold.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- An omnivorous nocturnal mammal native to North America and Central America